August 18, 2006

Snakes on a Plane (Ellis, 2006)













****1/2

There are two types of people in this world: those who would enjoy Snakes on a Plane, and those who wouldn't.

I pity the latter.

Last night, I had the privelege -- nay, the honor -- of seeing Snakes on a Plane at the 10:00 sneak preview, an event prophesized by the Bible as the second coming of the Messiah. Flanked on all sides by friends and fellow Snakes anticipators, I experienced, in all of its splendid glory, one of the most mind-blowingly awesome movies of the decade. Snakes was hyped to the point of Godlike existence, but it delivers in copious amounts everything it promises: plenty of snakes, a plane full of expendable passengers, and Samuel L. Jackson.

The film is beautiful in its simplicity. In fact, a plot synopsis really isn't necessary. But for the sake of clarity, I suppose I can break it down for you. Sean (Nathan Phillips) is a man who, after witnessing a murder by Eddie Kim (Byron Lawson), finds himself under the protection of FBI Agent Nelville Flynn (Jackson). The two board a plane for L.A., where Sean will testify against the crimeboss. But after hundreds of poisonous snakes are released on the plane, it's up to Nelville and the dwindling passengers and crew to guide the plane home.

Snakes on a Plane is one of the few films today that actually lives up to the hype. In an age when movies disappoint with failed expectations and broken promises, its comforting when films like Snakes on a Plane are released.

The only reason I marked it down a half a star is because I don't see Snakes as being as fufillingly entertaining on DVD, or in an empty theater. The best way to experience the majesty of Snakes is with a group of friends, in a crowded theater, late at night, with an open mind and a wide grin.

That's exactly how I went into it, and I loved every second of it. Every disgustingly wicked kill, every Sam Jackson one-liner ("I've had it with these mother f***ing snakes on this mutha f***ing plane!"). Every scene is just dripping with pure awesome.

Yes, it's a dumbly simple premise. And yes, it's a little far-fetched and silly; even a little stupid. But it doesn't try to be anything other than what it should be: snakes on a plane, and it succeeds in everything it sets out to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Snakes on a plane?? hmm... ok. Short review, as the movie isn't unexpected as some are. Just the same old story bla bla bla. I must say that I was surprised when you rated it with half a star. I would give it five. LOL I wanted you to review the movie "Match Point" (W.Allen)because I need some opinions. In my life (i'm a teen), it's very difficult to find people who enjoy it (except my parents). I don't think teens enjoy it, but it is one of my favourite movies. That definition of luck drives me mad. Shall I leave the rest with you? please =)
regards
portugal reader

Matt said...

I actually did review "Match Point" several months ago, before my blog went through a revamp. My archived reviews before that were lost.

However, I would be more than happy to email you the review via email. Let me know!

It's always good to hear from my reader in Portugal. =)

Matt said...

I'm planning on making a video addressing the Snakes haters.

And yeah, if you get a bunch of friends together, it could be tons of fun on DVD. =P

Unknown said...

I am SO seeing this.

In fact the bloggers loved it SO much... Well, see for yourself!

http://stevethepirate.net/2006/07/11/snakes-on-a-carnival-of-comedy/