August 11, 2006

Not the best morning ...

Alright, so I wake up this morning at my usual time (10:30). I shower, brush my teeth, and get dressed. I then proceed to check my email and blog comments, as I do every morning. And what do I find? About four or five comments on both my blog and on my YouTube account, where I host my video blogs. At first, I was excited. That's a lot of comments for one night.

But then I read them.

They were all hateful, negative comments. The comment left on my Clerks II review was so inappropriate, I opted to delete it (members of my family read this blog, after all). For the record, it was something to the effect of "you're moron. Get a life and stop reviewing movies. Nobody cares what you think, get a girlfriend," only with copious amounts of swearing.

Even if the comment was coming from some idiot spammer with nothing better to do than bring people down over the internet, it was a bit hurtful to read that first thing in the morning. I then checked my YouTube comments, which were all pertaining to my last video blog, the one about the Halo film.

Five negative comments, two of which refer to me as a moron or an idiot. Why did they decide to do this? I don't know. It really irks me when people decide that the internet isn't a place for discussion, and proceed to just randomly insult people with differing opinions.

I responded to all the comments there. I simply thanked the users for their comments, and encouraged them to engage in intelligent discussion, rather than inane name calling. I haven't heard back from them, nor do I expect to and nor do I care to.

This is really the first time this has happened in this magnitude. I find that, when I do recieve a negative comment, I usually have two or three positive ones to keep me in a good mood. But I woke up this morning to nothing but hurtful attacks.

Am I going to let it ruin my day? No, of course not. I'm going to buy the Brick DVD while I'm out today, which should cheer my up indefinitely. The comments do sting a bit, though, and I hope to not have to wake up to an inbox full of nasty idiot comments again the near future.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Yeah, unfortunately.

Thanks for the support, sweetie. =)