June 26, 2006

Proyas hints at possible return to Dark City, fans riot in excitement

In case you didn't know, I LOVE the film "Dark City." It is, hands down, one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a cool little film by Alex Proyas of "The Crow" fame, and it's gained a faithful cult following since its release on DVD a few years back. Roger Ebert recently added "Dark City" to his "Great Movies" list, making it, I believe, the most recent film on there.

So, you have to understand, the people who love this movie really LOVE this movie. That's why this little tidbit of info has caused such an uproar amongst film geeks. Yes, Proyas let slip on the Mystery Clock forums that a sequel to "Dark City" is a possibility.

Some are upset -- why ruin something that's so perfect with a shoddy sequel? Some are ecstatic -- why not make a sequel to this fantastic film? Me? I'm somewhere in the middle, honestly. I'm very intriqued as to where this could go. Proyas is an extremely competent filmmaker, and I feel like he would treat the film with the respect it deserves.

And then there's questions like, "Will the cast return?" and "Will the film retain the style of the first?" It's a hard road to take with a film like "Dark City," but I feel like Proyas is more than up for the challenge.

So, in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the director's cut DVD of "Dark City" due out soon, and watch keenly for any word on this sequel.

Also, just a quick note: my video blog will be up soon. I ended up having to buy a special firewire cable to hook my camcorder up to my laptop. Should arrive in the next few days, so sit tight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt-

I finally was able to access your blog (the internet is slightly sketchy here) and I love it. I will definately become a frequent looker...I don't know what they're called. I'm new at this. Leave me alone. I read your "Is Anyone There (God, It's Me, Margaret)" entry and it made me sad. I just wanted you to know you got another fan.

Miss you, buddy.

Tyler

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt-

I finally was able to access your blog (the internet is slightly sketchy here) and I love it. I will definately become a frequent looker...I don't know what they're called. I'm new at this. Leave me alone. I read your "Is Anyone There (God, It's Me, Margaret)" entry and it made me sad. I just wanted you to know you got another fan.

Miss you, buddy.

Tyler