June 14, 2006

Blade Runner on the big screen? I'm there!

Some of you may already know this (if you do, it's worth reading about again; yes, it's that good), but it's an important piece of cinema information that everyone -- absolutely everyone -- should be informed of. "Blade Runner," Ridley Scott's 1981 sci-fi masterpiece, is being re-released into theaters in 2007 as a special edition "final cut."

As most Blade-whores know, there are already two existing versions of Scott's film; the theatrical cut, which underwhelmed at the theater (Scott himself hates this version -- the studio forced him to create a "happier" ending and add a stupid, noir-ish voice-over so as not confuse idiots), and the director's cut. The director's cut is what I own and enjoy on DVD. It's how "Blade Runner" should be watched.

However, fans have long suffered with the current DVD transfer of the film. The picture quality is horrible, the sound sub-par. The cover itself is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen (it's made of cheap, pliable cardboard crap rimmed with plastic). And the menu? Don't even get me started. I'm not one for flashy menus, but this film has to have the most boring, uninteresting, horrendously ugly DVD menu in the world. Not even exaggerating.

So, what I'm trying to get across is that "Blade Runner" has never really recieved the treatment it deserves. And for young fans, ones that weren't around to see the film in the theaters, it's hard to appreciate the film for the beautiful piece of filmmaking it is.

Not only is the film being re-released, but Scott is finally unveiling the long-rumored two-disc, special edition final cut DVD for sale a month after the film's theatrical debut.

Salivating yet? Good.

I'm going to be the first in line for the film and for the DVD when it goes on sale. I consider myself a huge "Blade Runner" fan. It ranks in my top ten films of all time, and I cannot wait until this splendid film recieves the care and reception it deserves.

No comments: