July 07, 2006

Priates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Verbinski, 2006)












***1/2

Well, here it is – the review you’ve all been waiting eagerly for. I now present to you, the Mattinee faithful, with my review of “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” the second installment in the hit trilogy.

Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley reprise their roles as swashbuckling trio Jack, Will and Elizabeth. The film picks up shortly after the events of “The Curse of the Black Pearl,” with Will and Elizabeth prepared to be married.

But when an East India Trading Company official (yes, the same who branded Jack with his infamous “P” for pirate) arrives with arrest warrants for the couple, along with James Norrington (Jake Davenport), the wedding plans come to a screeching halt. The deal is, Will has to find Jack Sparrow and claim his “broken” compass or he, his fiancé and poor Norrington will hang.

Thing is, Jack has his own set of problems. Turns out that Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), a tentacle-bearded demon sea captain, is out to collect Jack’s soul. Now Jack, Will, Elizabeth and Norrington are all out to find the fabled “Dead Man’s Chest,” in order to stop Davy Jones and return home. And the only method of finding the chest? Jack’s “broken” compass.

The first “Pirates” flick was a charming, swashbuckling romp that took everyone by surprise, both with its quality and its prowess at the box office. This second foray into the world of pirates and magic is also looking to shatter box office records, but director Gore Verbinski has also opted out some of the charm and a lot of the substance.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed “Dead Man’s Chest.” Just maybe not as much as I enjoyed “The Curse of the Black Pearl.” Why? Well, it comes down to this. “Black Pearl” was a film you could watch over and over again and never get bored – it had a fantastic rewatchability (just made up a word) factor to it. I just can’t imagine myself wanting to watch this second film again and again and again.

The characters that we came to love in the first film are strangely unlikable in this movie. They fight and squabble, betraying and lying to one another through the entire course of the film. Even Jack Sparrow, possibly one of the most likable characters in recent film, is a despicable scoundrel. And yes, I know – he’s a pirate. But at some point, we need to see a bit of good in the character. We saw in the first film numerous times, but it’s coldly absent until the very climax in “Dead Man’s Chest.”

The action in the film is also absurdly over-the-top. Yes, it’s a movie about cursed pirates, giant squids and magic compasses, but at some point – possibly when Jack, Will and Norrington are all dueling atop a giant mill wheel while a crew of cursed fish-men chase after Elizabeth and two formerly-cursed pirates, who have a chest containing the still beating heart of their immortal captain, Davy Jones, who also has command over a giant squid known as the Kraken – we might want to question the direction of the film.

Scenes like the one mentioned above are crazy and entertaining at first, but the novelty soon wears off and they become daunting to watch. I’m typically one for over-the-top action sequences, but when a film starts to feel like it’s nothing but, it becomes tiresome.

The character of Davy Jones is also criminally underdeveloped. There’s a vague back story at one point that hazily explains why he might be the way he is, but I definitely felt like I enjoyed Geoffrey Rush’s Captain Barbossa a bit more.

However, on the bright side of things, the film is splendidly entertaining. There wasn’t a single boring moment, or a wasted inch of screen. “Dead Man’s Chest” is chock-full of vibrant, exuberant characters, situations and settings.

My reaction to this movie was hard to pinpoint. The film was immensely disappointing in some aspects, but completely satisfying in others. I suppose I might feel differently towards “Dead Man’s Chest” once “World’s End” is released next summer. Maybe the two films fit together snugly like a single one and complete the picture.

If nothing else, the final scene alone gives me immense amounts of hope for the third installment.

If my review was a little heavy-handed, I apologize. The film is a solid piece of work; maybe not as full and odor-free as the first, but still a quality summer action flick.

I look forward to seeing “World’s End” next summer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet again Mr. Click you have not disappointed me. I too enjoyed "Dead Man's Chest," but felt that it lacked the substance that "The Curse of the Black Pearl" offered.

I felt like they went for too many laughs in the second film, although, I must say, the painted on eyeballs sparked quite a few laughs on my part. I thought the first film was a better movie simply because the story was clear, the object of the adventure was clear, & the occassional giggles didn't feel forced.

However, I agree with you about the last scene, it made the three hours of sleep last night worth it. But, I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep until the third film premieres.

Bang-up review Matt.
Keep up the good work.

--Lauren

Matt said...

Hey Lauren. Thanks for the comment. Yes, I definitely felt like the first one was a bit more carefree and easy going.

Glad you liked the movie, and my review for that matter.

Keep reading! I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

*weakly lifts head from tear-soaked pillow* Sniff... I don't get to see it until the 27th! And it will be in German!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Good review though, and I watched the second two video blogs. I'll watch the first one later, but I think Fiona is starting to think I'm addicted to the internet, so I should go.

Keep up the awesome reviews, and video blogs; they make me feel at home!

-Kat

Matt said...

My first video blog is awful. I wouldn't recommend watching it.

But thanks for the comments! And who cares what Fiona thinks? She'd just think it was boring anyway.

Pft.

Matt said...

Hey, I'm glad you like it! It was a very hard review to write. Thanks for the comments and the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Great review, as always. Some of my thoughts...

I think it definitely has a "middle movie" feel. A comparison to "The Empire Strikes Back" might be apt. I would suggest, however, that TESB was the best of that series while Pirates2 is inferior to the first. Some problems, in my view (minor spoilers):

* The first movie told a complete story, while this one is seemingly nothing but dangling threads waiting to be woven. In TESB, every character actually had a complete arc, even though we had a cliffhanger ending. My feeling is that Pirates2 + Pirates3 is probably a complete movie.

* There's a notable lack of fun this time (which was what I liked about the first), but not for lack of trying. The movie has a darker tone than the first, but everyone seems to be taking it a bit too seriously. In the first movie, you got the feeling that Jack Sparrow was actually in a completely different movie, which gave it this sort of off-kilter weirdness. Here, the action revolves around Jack Sparrow and that leaves him grounded. Typically I'd consider that a good thing, but not necessarily with this character.

* The main villain is not as compelling (or as well-played) as Barbossa, though I think they are setting him up to be fleshed out (errr .. so to speak) in the 3rd movie. I predict that some redemption is in store for this character.

* Some of the coincidences of characters encountering other characters got to be a bit much

* They missed out, in my opinion, on a chance to do a fun and surprising character reveal (if someone's father had been revealed as such on the Flying Dutchman, rather than in that mundane conversation with Jack).

* You mentioned some of the over-the-top stuff, which was actually my favorite sequence. It felt much more like the "logic be damned" attitude of the first.

All-in-all, it was a mildly disappointing but still worth-seeing summer movie with some great set pieces. I think (I hope) that the 3rd film will put things in context and actually improve this one for repeat viewings.

Matt said...

Thanks so much for the comment! I agree completely with your thoughts on Jack's role this time around. You took the words right out of my mouth.

And for the record: I did enjoy watching the mill-wheel fight. It's just that the whole movie seemed to be set in this manic, must-have-as-many-things-happening-at-once-as-possible tone.