July 22, 2006

And The Joker will be ... HUH?!

Comic junkies and film fans alike were left in shock last night when it was announced that Christopher Nolan had selected his Joker for the highly anticipated Batman Begins sequel. The topic has been one of heated debate on online forums for over a year now, and fan favorites have ranged from Crispin "McFly" Glover to Hugo "Agent Smith" Weaving and GĂ©rard "I'm French" Depardieu to Adrien "The Nose" Brody.

But Nolan caught everyone by surprise when he chose heart-throb Heath Ledger to play Batman's greatest (and most beloved) adversary in his upcoming film.

My thoughts? Nolan knows what he's doing. Much like Cillian Murphy in the role of Scarecrow in Batman Begins, Ledger could take us all by surprise.

I'm not willing to make a judgement on this before I see Heath in white face paint, with a green wig and an enormous set of yellow choppers. I trust Nolan's casting and I trust Ledger's acting ability.

I don't have much of an opinion on the matter as of yet. I'm not one to hate or love a casting choice from the get-go. We'll see how this pans out and I'll still be eagerly anticipating the sequel to Batman Begins (speaking of which ... when are they going to title the thing? I'm thinking Batman Keeps on Keepin' On).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, i loved Batman Begins, althought it seems kind of odd who was picked for Joker. Im sure it will be cool, with all the make up and everything, Im curious to see what they will do when they no doubt try to make the joker for modern.

Matt said...

I'm very interested to see what Ledger and Nolan do with the character of Joker. I can't wait.