September 06, 2006

Crank (Neveldine/Taylor, 2006)












***½

I'm a guy who enjoys independent, arthouse, drama and foreign films. I like the occasional musical and I happen to be a big fan of Moulin Rouge! and West Side Story. However, I am indeed a guy and I get a real kick out a well-made action film, the kind that assaults you with gunfire, explosions, car chases and crazy camera angles, but also retains an interesting premise with a sense of plot and pacing. Crank is a very well-made action film.

Chev Chelios (Jason Statham of The Transporter), a freelance hitman, discovers upon waking one morning that he has been poisoned with a Chinese synthetic substance by a vengeful crimeboss. Chev has only a few hours to live and the poison is already working its way towards his heart. Speeding down the road, Chev realizes that the poison is cutting off his adrenaline -- if he stops, he dies. To stay alive, he has to keep his andrenaline flowing.

Think Speed, except the bus is now a revenge-driven hitman, and Sandra Bullock is now Amy Smart.

Many modern action films (*cough*michaelbay*cough*) fail because they aren't any fun. Bouncing breasts and tumbling cars are only entertaining for a little while before they become tedious to watch. A truly engaging action film has to have a certain balance of plot, action and humor. Crank succeeds where many action films fail because it's really fun.

Statham does what he does best with reckless abandon. For two hours he kicks, headbutts, shoots, frowns at, punches, pushes, and drives into nameless henchmen of all sorts; it's ridiculously entertaining. Crank never takes itself too seriously, lest it become too insanely over-the-top. No, the film is constantly aware of its own absurdity and makes sure to keep the realism in check.

The film is heavily stylized, utilizing heavy jump-cuts and interesting editing (i.e. split screen conversations, color filters, etc.) to keep even the most menial of scenes entertaining and dynamic. It's fast moving, well paced and over before you're bored.

It's no Die Hard or True Lies, but Crank is a first-rate action flick, a guy-pleasing festival of gore, cars and bullets.

Granted, the girlfriend might not enjoy it too much ... so, bring your buddies and enjoy.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Well, I think that's what made it better than your typical action film -- it actually had some substance to it. By substance, I mean an interesting plot, adequate performances, etc.

I suppose the films lacks a certain depth to it. I can see someone who doesn't typically enjoy action movies thinking "Why am I watching this again?" and waiting for the payoff.

Well, for me the payoff was a solid, fun action flick that kept me entertained.

Unknown said...

WAAAAAIT a minute - This may just be semantics, but shouldn't a "first-rate" film receive a perfect score?

I kid. Great review. Now, post a video!

Anonymous said...

I havent seen it, but I want to and after reading your review, it makes me want to. Not to much more to say....as i havent seen it.....