November 05, 2006

The saga continues: more of my favorite films

Last week, I listed five of my 10 favorite films for your reading pleasure. I was immediately bombarded with emails, phone calls, a few faxes and several telegraph messages pleading me to continue my list. I was also contacted on my CB radio by a man identifying himself as “Papa Bear.” This, however, had absolutely nothing to do with my column; Papa Bear was merely lonely. I promised the top five this week and I have, of course, delivered.

One of these men has a career now. Can you guess who?
---

5) Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994): For me, “Pulp Fiction” is the definitive Tarantino experience. It’s a dingy crime film with a non-linear, multiple-story plot, laced with sharp dialogue and unsurpassed performances from Samuel L. Jackson (“That is a tasty burger!”), John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Tim Roth and Harvey Keitel. It’s a contemporary classic, destined for greatness in the annals of fantastic cinema. If Tarantino proved himself a competent filmmaker with 1992’s “Reservoir Dogs,” then he completely obliterated our doubts with the sick brilliance of “Pulp Fiction.”

Harrison Ford deftly avoids questions concerning Indiana Jones 4. Oh, he's good.
---

4) Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982):
Ridley Scott, the acclaimed director of “Alien” and “Gladiator,” is responsible for some of the most visually breathtaking films of the modern era. By far the most accomplished film in his repertoire is his 1982 masterpiece “Blade Runner.” On the surface, it appears to be a simple sci-fi detective story, but its noir roots and profound themes make it a rich cinematic experience. It’s a film, much like Alex Proyas’ “Dark City” (number six on my list), that really got me interested in cinema.

Distracted, Roy Scheider completely misses the Jaws segment of the Universal backlot tour.
---

3) Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975):
In 1975, a young and somewhat unknown auteur named Steven Spielberg set out with a leaky boat and a busted mechanical shark to film what was to become one of the most iconic horror films of all time. Fun, terrifying and immensely quotable (“You’re gonna need a bigger boat”), “Jaws” has stood the test of time and remains an effectively horrifying, yet hysterically fun film. If nothing else, it’s the performance of Robert Shaw as the grizzled old shark hunter Quint that makes the film.

Mark Hammil feels as though he's being followed.
---

2) The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980): I’m a huge “Star Wars” geek (the highlight of my life is the time I was invited to a press screening of “Revenge of the Sith” and was able to see it ten days before its release – yeah, I’m awesome), so obviously the original trilogy holds a rather large amount of significance for me. My favorite of the three is “The Empire Strikes Back,” the second installment of the trilogy. It’s a vastly darker film than “A New Hope,” and the story arc is the strongest of the entire saga. The climatic lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader, in which the Sith Lord confesses that he is indeed (SPOILER!) Luke’s father, is one of he most fantastically memorable scenes in all of cinema.

The ultimate hero steals the ultimate paper weight.
---


1) Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981):
When asked what movie I would bring with me to a deserted island, the answer comes very quickly for me. “Raiders of the Lost Ark” is one of those films that transcends every conceivable barrier, managing to appeal greatly to absolutely everyone. This first installment in the Indiana Jones trilogy is a movie that, in my eyes, is simply flawless. It achieves a balance many films strive for but few ever reach – that wonderful equilibrium of cinematic perfection. Somewhere between Han Solo, James Bond and Fred Dobbs, Harrison Ford finds Indiana Jones, the most charismatic action hero – nay, the greatest film character – of all time. It’s a film that I watched relentlessly as a child, and one that remains my absolute favorite to this day.

The circle is complete. You now know my top ten favorite films, and though they may change over time, I think this might give you a bit of insight into the mind of the guy who has been rambling about movies near the back of the paper for the past two months. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think Papa Bear is trying to reach me on my CB.

No comments: